24.3.09

Story #2 (Laura)

I've just completed my second story. For a while I had a hard time trying to figure out what the hell to even write about. One day while I was watching Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, I was inspired to write a story with a similar concept involving the deliberate erasing of ones memory but approach it from an entire different view point. Instead of a man and a woman who once were in love but end up with broken hearts, I took the road of a mother and son whose relationship over the years has gone astray. The connection between a mother and her child is formed even before birth, I thought it would be interesting to explore that bond that can be so strong to break. I decided to make the mother an alcoholic in the story who hurt her son, my main character Miles, deeply as a young child growing up. Throughout the story he tries to forget her, ignoring the recent letter she has sent to him. When he makes the choice to get the procedure I wanted him to sort of battle it out in his head on the way to getting it done. I used flashbacks to show the happy times he had shared with his mother using even some of my own memories.

The message I was trying to get across is that memories are what make us who we are. The good ones and even the most horrible ones that you wish to forget. Often in life when we lose something involuntarily, we want it back so badly. We need to appreciate the good things that happen in our life along with the not so good. I'm not going to lie and say I haven't thought about it while I watched the movie for the first time because I seriously wouldn't mind erasing a couple embarrassing memories from my adolescence. I've find it very useful to just imagine that they've never happened or better yet happened to someone else.

im done.

No comments:

Post a Comment