17.3.09

Story #2 (Annam)

I'm half way done with my second story. I feel like the whole concept is in my head but I just need to express it in actual, tangible words. The main character is called Kurt. I sort of choose the names of my characters on a...whim (I always wanted to use that word, yes!) This may sound really dumb but I was listening to Nirvana when I started writing it, so I was like "Hey, I'll just name him Kurt"...and then itunes decided to play a Kings of Leon song, and I thought "I'll just make his last name Followill, like the guys in that band". Very creative, i know.

Anyway, he's supposed to be this normal guy who moves to New York from Kansas because he wants to be closer to real oppurtunities, since he didnt feel like he had that in Kansas. He believes in the "if you can make it here, you can make it anywhere" aspect of New York. He's extremely idealistic, and is hoping to get lucky and meet respected writers, make connections, become apart of some sort of well known writers circle, and eventually be recognized for his work and be a famous writer (In case you didnt know, he wants to be a writer). But his initial reaction and experience in NY isnt good. Everything just seems to be going against him, from a crappy job he gets to pay rent for a run-down apartment with a weird roommate.

Thats actually all I got to so far in terms of what I wrote down. But for the rest, i want all these negative experiences to make him feel scattered and uninspired, creatively, so it effects his writing to the point where he just stops. And then one day after a really sucky start to the morning, he's on this sort of "fateful" train going to his first day on the job and he begins watching the people around him, now his "fellow New Yorkers", people unlike he knew in his town where everyone was just painfully normal. It seems like every person just sitting on his train cart, like him following a mundane morning routine, has something interesting that Kurt could see beyond the surface. So in that short train ride, he instantly feels creatively inspired again and gets all these ideas for characters and story plots based on the people he encountered. Its like the city and people he once resented become his new muse. Um...Thats it!



No comments:

Post a Comment