18.4.09

Story #1 (Laura)

In my first story entitled “Lost” I was inspired to write about a funny story that happened to my mom and her best friend when they were around my age. Of course I exaggerated some parts and had to add things to make it more interesting but essentially it’s a true story. I tried to be as descriptive as possible when writing it so i could engage the person reading my story and have them picture the scenes in their minds. At the same time though I didnt want to get carried away to the point where it was getting obnoxious. Writing this story gave me my first chance at discovering my own personal writing style. I didn’t tell the story from just one characters point of view but from a third person style. I also tried to put my own experience of being with my friends into the story. Growing up with all brothers I tend to view my three closest friends as my sisters, who like me only have brothers for siblings. As “sisters” we tend to talk to each other in sarcastic tones and make smart-alecky comments towards each other teasingly like the two characters in my story do. This story was the one I had the most fun writing because I wanted it to be humorous and be allowed to use some of my cynical prone behavior in it. I even dipped into a real life incident where my friend was driving and almost ran over a cat that had ran into the road. She pulled over and we proceeded to have the same little chat as Terri and Lee did about her losing her driving privileges. The dialogue came easy to me but I did find myself in trouble towards the end because I wasn’t quite sure how to end it. In real life, my mom and her friend ended up turning around and driving back home so I decided not to stray too far and stick with the factual account.

No comments:

Post a Comment