18.4.09

Response to ASAP program and plans for college (Annam)

Being apart of ASAP has been a really great experience. When I was first approached to join right before enrolling at QCC, Im going to admit that I was very hesitant. Up until the point of signing the little contract that officially makes one an "ASAP'er", or whatever we're called, I had to think twice about it, mainly because it almost sounded too good to be true. But since then, I've not had any regrets. ASAP lives up to its standards. Even all the little obligatory tasks and things we're asked to do are worth the hassle.

Having individualized assistance and guidance is so worth having. Im actually a little scared of what I'll do without Danielle next year as she honestly helped me get by these past 2 years with all of her help. The block scheduling is something I didnt consider to be important but it has been. I have friends in other colleges that constantly complain about how they have no option but to take classes scheduled hours apart on the same day, and thats truly a stress inducer.

And of course, the financial assistance with tuition, books, and metrocards are more than I could have asked for. I think the city and CUNY school system did such a good thing by creating this program. Its been a big benefit to everyone involved, it makes the transition from high school to college easier, and Im sure its encouraged many people to continue on with their education.

My plans for after ASAP are to transfer onto a 4 year college, which I just recently found out will be Hunter College. While there, I honestly dont know where to begin as Im scattered with things I have to do. I might have to stay in touch with Danielle for some unofficial guidance. There are so many things I'd like to do professionally from traveling and reporting, to photography to writing. But my safety plan is to major in Elementary Education and get a license in teaching young children.

If I have to have a normal job, I feel like its best to be a teacher as I've always loved that profession and would resort to lining up my stuffed animals in rows and teaching them various subjects as a kid. I really admired my elementary school teachers who made learning fun, and used unconventional methods to engage us. And the idea of teaching kids is the best for me, because strangely enough, kids seem to naturally like me...I suppose its for my endless wit and charm (or not). Besides that, my only other college plan is to study abroad somewhere like England or Spain. And after that, its all still a mystery since there are so many possibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment