18.4.09

An unusual vacation spot by- Annam

Spring Break is almost over and I've done nothing stimulating, school-wise. Any work is still undone and any studying is still unstudied. I did however go on a little trip to Saudi Arabia that took all of my energy and cranium space, so right now, thats all I can really think about. Usually when I travel anywhere, it takes me about a week to get back into regular, normal, routine life mode. I suspect this trip might take a little longer. I'll write a response on my trip there and some things I saw and experienced:

Well the reason for going was purely for religious reasons otherwise I dont think I'd have ever gone there. Muslims are supposed to go on a pilgrimage to the holy city of Mecca, Saudi Arabia atleast once in their lives called Hajj. Hajj is such an intense event that only happens once a year during a condensed time frame and you need to be mentally and physically stable to go through with it. For the rest of us, there's something called Umra. Umra is like a less intense version of Hajj that is open all year round. Even though Hajj is required and Umra is not...Thats what my family and I did, Umra that is. Im not your typical religious person, but my family is so I tagged along, but I was excited and willing to learn alot about the religion I grew up with.

Saudi Arabia is a really beautiful, surreal place. At night, riding through the desert on an unbearably hot and crowded 5 hour bus ride that left me feeling quite proud of myself for enduring, i just stared out of my window for hours...it was hypnotizing. The desert stretches for miles and miles and all you can see is its deep golden hue and sandy mountains that reach the sky. And the sky in complete darkness is littered with stars, unlike anything a city person like I have ever witnessed. In the city of Mecca, authentic old clay buildings and crowded dirt streets make you feel like a time traveler jolted back 1,500 years. Going into the beautifully crafted Masjids or "Mosques" that are everywhere to be found is like stepping into art. The history behind this ancient land is so bold and vivid, it was amazing to think that I was walking the same land that the most well known and beloved figures in Islamic history once walked, and was looking at the same sites that they once looked upon.

To be honest, Ive felt discontented with the thought of religion for a large part of my life. But I realized that religion can actually be quite a beautiful and uniting force. Its only the people and followers of the past and present that have caused it to become a source of war and hatred. Islam in particular is a religion that has fallen victim to many intolerant ignoramuses out there. But you wouldnt know that when your in S.A. and many other Muslim countries, where Islam is an extremely beautiful and natural aspect of everyones lives that bonds, instead of seperates. During the times of the five daily prayers, you'll see the streets lined with thousands of people all heading in the same direction: to the mosque. During the prayer, everyone is surrounded by peaceful silence. All you can hear are quiet prayers and the sounds of the sparrows overhead. You feel like your apart of something greater than yourself, and its a very humbling and spiritual situation to be apart of. Many people ignore or forget about their inner self because of the fast pace of everyday life. I realized thats why Muslims pray so often, to get out of the daily grind mindset and go somewhere peaceful and personal during those five prayers per day.


(Right) The black building in the middle is called the Kabba, the holiest landmark in Islam as it was said to be built by Prophet Ibrahim (Abraham). The sea of white surrounding it are Muslim pilgrims during Hajj. The number of people visiting this sacred site during Hajj can easily reach millions. During Umra, the numbers are much less, but still massive in the thousands range. (I was right where that tall guy in white is standing in the picture if you can see)


Saudi Arabia also has some negative points which to me, are mainly sociological and cultural. They have a shortage of internet or libraries available there, which led the cynical speculator in me to suspect the government is trying to limit its citizens access of outside knowledge. Non-Muslims are not allowed into the country, which I think is a tad extreme- but hey, they have their own reasons for this and one can only hope they'll eventually reconsider this strange, strange rule. Besides, how would they even know who really is and isnt what they say, right!? Also, women are required to cover their hair and wear abaya's (a type of long, shapeless gown) and men can wear whatever they want, but most usually wear long white Arab style dresses. I dont see that as oppressive for women if its her choice to do so, but the women there dont have a choice: cover yourself up or be outcasted.

The line between a man and woman is not fine in such a country. It was clearly apparent that men were considered the more dominant sex, and woman had a clear purpose: to be a good wife, mother, obediant and domestic, respectful and soft spoken. Naturally, growing up in America where Im free to do many things such as speak my mind and walk around the street by myself, I had the same mind set when I was there. But I had to think twice before I thought of leaving the hotel room with even a bit of my hair showing, or when walking through the shopping areas, even asking the male shop keeper the price of an item made me feel nervous. My brother had to do most of the talking. To be fair, we did see many woman walking around alone or in groups, and its not like they arent allowed to speak in public...in general though, I think men are forced to take the dominant role, just as women are forced not to.

There is also a serious lack of understanding there about how racism, discrimination, and stereotyping is wrong. Quite a few Saudi's (as I personally witnessed) make fun of foreigners and people of other, Non-Arab backgrounds and there's no law or stigma against it there. But we have that here as well, i guess. Its just that we have more closeted racists in our country while they have more open ones. I dont know which is worse. I'd also like to point out that these extreme rules and form of religion are mainly expressed in Saudi life. In many other Muslim countries, women are free to wear what they like and do as they please, things have come a long way from traditional, conservative Muslim values.

Besides the usual downers, our entire trip remained mainly positive and something to remember. It was like a really bizarre, entertaining, spiritual, and mind numbing adventure all in one. I met many interesting, friendly people that I would have never guessed I'd meet otherwise. I experienced some cool things, and overall, it was well worth the effort, money, and planning. Also, apparently the Saudi's really love Obama because there was a big poster of him outside a shopping mall, which is ironic--Saudi's liking the American president? It almost sounds like a sick joke. "Would you ever go back?" an imaginary person asks me...Well, the answer is yes. I'd like to go back again for Hajj, or maybe even another Umra. Sure why the heck not! But once Im through with those things, I think I'd feel like my job there is done. Besides, I'd be too busy trying out different things like backpacking around Europe or rowing through a river in the Amazon ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment