24.4.09

Final portfolio& class anthology (Annam)

I've been spending some time working on my final portfolio for the class, in which we have to submit all of our revised stories plus some extra things like a introduction letter. For the intro, I talked about how books were always my escape as a kid, and I still love to read them whenever I get the chance. I mentioned how I once heard "to be a good writer, you must be a good reader", and this saying holds a lot of truth. Just by reading, I learned many words and improved my grasp on the english language. Reading a good book also makes you aware of different styles that writers use to effectively portray their story to readers, and all those technicalities and formalities of writing. I know how using correct grammer and proper structure in writing a story can be annoying, but just by reading so much through the years, it almost became an instinct to me to do so.
I cant fail to mention that I gave a little reference to this very blog as well. What I wrote was, that the initial prospectives of becoming a "blogger" didnt sound very ideal to me. It amazes me how people can use their online blogs as personal journals. Maybe Im someone who values my privacy on an abnormal level, but I couldnt understand the idea of blogging my thoughts for the entire world to see. But I've actually maybe sort of liked being able to post my responses and what not on here. Its much more conveniant and faster than keeping a journal for class. Also, writing sarcastic, smart alecy posts with my witty friend Laura was fun, even if we're the only ones who are amused by them.
I did get around to editing all three stories. I found many things I decided needed to be changed or corrected, and in the end, I feel like I did everything I could to convey what I wanted to through these stories. "Transience", the first one, was the longest yet easiest one to write for me, because I already had a clear idea of what I wanted it to be about, and it all sort of flowed on paper. "Odd Chance" was the one that took the longest. I spent alot of time scrutinizing over the little details of this one, because i never wrote a story before that didnt have any clear or dynamic plotline. It was just about a guy who is on the subway and is people watching. He happens to see a few random occurences and encounter a few interesting strangers. "Adam & Ruby", the third story, took me just a few hours to jot down. I think I mentally went back to being 16 years old when I wrote that one, because its totally a teenage story that that age group might like and be able to relate to-the pressures of the adolescent years and the awkward transition from child to adult.
Also, for the class anthology, I submitted "Transience" to be published. I think its actually pretty cool that our class will have this chance to become published writers. I dont think many other creative writing classes get to do that as a class.

No comments:

Post a Comment